Ο τοπικός πολιτισμός της περιοχής των Τζουμέρκων
Υπόμνημα:

The Bridge of Plaka in Plaka

This is the largest one-arched bridge of the Balkans. Built in 1866, the bridge of Plaka has a total length of 61 meters, a height of 21meters and a width of 3.20 meters. Its central arch is 40 meters wide. The architect Kostas Bekas from the neighboring settlement of Pramanta was responsible for overseeing this magnificent edifice’s construction. The locals assigned this difficult task specifically to him after several efforts had already been carried out in an attempt to bridge the two river banks, which were always wrecked at the last minute. As Lampridis puts it, the main benefactor appears to be Ioannis Loulis who in 1866 paid an amount of 38,000 piasters for the bridge’s erection. The bridge was built back in 1863 with a grant of 30,000 piasters from benefactor Demetrios Arvanitoyannis from Pramanta but eventually collapsed. The bridge was reportedly also financed by the communities of Melissourgoi and Pramanta and the required timber was donated by the Agnanta community. The bridge is intertwined with important historical events such as battles of resistance against the conquerors. On July 26th – 27th 1821 captains fought together with their few forces in dramatic battles against the large army fleets of Ali Pasha. However dramatic civil conflicts also took place on this bridge. For example in January 1944 in the Plaka area deadly battles occurred between the forces of The Greek People’s Liberation Army and The National Republican Greek League. Later, on 02/29/1944, these same forces signed a cease conflict agreement between them. Even today the bridge is an important heritage site for the local population as well as a place of memory, point of reference and is associated with activities and cultural events, such as the feast days of Panagia of Plaka also known as Panagia Mouchoustiotisa. These celebrations bring pilgrims together from around the region. Festival are held over eight whole days.