Ο τοπικός πολιτισμός της περιοχής των Τζουμέρκων
Υπόμνημα:

The Monastery of Kipina

no images were found

The Monastery of Kipina is dedicated to the Assumption and is celebrated on the first Friday after Easter Sunday which happens to be the feast day of the Zoodochos Pigi. The Monastery is built on the boundaries of the Kipina settlement on the way to the Kalarrytes settlement. It’s possible that its name was inspired by the garden areas, κήπους (kipous), that were once cultivated by monks along the banks of the Kalarrytiotis river. To find the Monastery’s entrance one should follow the path which is hacked into a cliff and then cross a wooden bridge. In the past this was a sliding bridge that protected the monks from invaders’ attacks. According to Seraphim Byzantios or Xenopoulos the Monastery was built in 1212. However, N. Papakostas disputes this date and is convinced that 1349 was the year of the Monastery’s construction as seen on its inscription. According to yet another tradition, the Monastery’s construction was carried out by a group of monks who left the Monastery of Vyliza’s brotherhood in protest of the new elected abbot.

Leake, a British traveler, visited the Monastery in 1809 where according to his journal’s entry on 20 July 1809 he had met two monks and a young local. The collective tradition preserves a history associated with the neighboring communities of Syrrako and Kalarrytes whose relations were not always friendly. On the eve of the wedding between a man from Kalarrytes and a woman from Syrrako, some delegates of Ali Pasha were ordered from a local to kidnap the bride. The people of Syrrako rushed to block their escape route forcing the kidnappers to secure the Monastery. The Pasha asked the residents of Kalarrytes for help in order to end the siege and the two sides reached a compromise. The kidnappers were eventually accused of belonging to a group of bandits.